McHENRY, IL - January 21, 1998 - Follett Software Company has announced the release of its widely used automation software, Circulation Plus, Catalog Plus and Alliance Plus, for the Windows operating system.
"We've taken library automation software for Windows to the next level, with unparalleled features and benefits such as direct access to the Internet," said Chuck Follett, President of Follett Software Company. "The Windows products demonstrate our commitment to meeting our customers' newly emerging needs as well as their long-standing ones. The products are based on the latest 32-bit client/server software architecture for optimum performance, functionality and ease of use."
What's Unique about Follett Software's Windows Products?
- Support of the 856 electronic resources MARC (MAchine Readable Cataloging) tag, giving patrons access to relevant materials on the Internet and Intranet (Follett Software has built this feature in - other vendors charge extra for this compatibility)
- Hyperlinking capabilities help patrons search more quickly without having to reenter search terms
- An easy-to-use MARC Editor features Follett Software's on-line MARC Bibliographic Format Guide to assist with cataloging
- A simplified Circulation Desk provides one-stop access to all of the circulation functions for fast checkin, checkout, holds, fine calculations, and more
- Internet access to a library's OPAC available through Follett Software's new WebCollection Plus remote searching solution
Key Features Facilitate Basic Library Functions
Library media specialists have been benefiting from important basic functions that Follett Software has been providing for years. These functions are also available in the new Windows products:
- SEE and SEE ALSO cross referencing
- Printing overdue notices and bibliographies
- Easy editing and exporting of MARC bibliographic and patron records
- Compatibility with Follett Software's PHD+ II and PHD Laser+ top-of-the-line portable scanners for quicker inventory, remote circulation, unique collection categorization, and advanced reporting
Other Noteworthy Features
- Ability to multitask Follett Software application modules in a networked environment (e.g., having the MARC Editor and Circulation Desk open simultaneously)
- Reports consolidated into one module for easy access
- Support of eight-character holdings codes
- Support of USMARC Format Integration standards
- Ability to print a list of a patron's items directly from the Circulation Desk
- On-line users manual
Follett Software's new applications are designed for Windows 95 and Windows NT. They feature native Windows 95 compatibility for improved performance.
Johnsburg High School in McHenry, IL, used Follett Software Company's Windows products during Beta testing. Kathy Kucik, the school's librarian, commented on the products, "The new interface is extremely user-friendly - it's made the research process so much faster."
About Follett Software Company
Since 1985, Follett Software Company has provided school, public and special libraries with leading-edge library automation, Internet and curriculum resource software and services. Its Circulation Plus software, with more than 29,000 installations worldwide, is the number one selling library automation system in the K-12 marketplace. Follett Software Company is a division of Follett Corporation, and is headquartered in McHenry, IL. The company was recently ranked among the top ten largest software companies in Chicago. For additional information, call (800) 323-3397 or go to www.fsc.follett.com.