Anaheim, CA - June 21, 2012. As the nation's librarians convene this week in Anaheim, Calif., OverDrive will present its Next Generation eBook and audiobook service for libraries and schools, further extending the value of digital collections everywhere. In response to feedback gathered throughout its network of 18,000 libraries and schools, the distributor of eBooks and other digital media is rolling out new features and updates that prioritize ease of use, on demand access across mobile and desktop platforms, and integration with library discovery tools. OverDrive will showcase its Next Generation digital library service throughout the American Library Association Annual Conference (Booth #1362) in Anaheim, June 21 to 26.
OverDrive's Next Generation service builds upon the company's popular library-lending platform, which offers the largest selection of eBooks, audiobooks, music and video on the market. Using the only platform that supports lending on all major eReading devices, computers, tablets and smartphones—including Amazon Kindle (U.S. only)—libraries in the OverDrive network have generated nearly 100 million digital media checkouts to date.
"Achieving unmatched ease of use for readers and reducing library staff time are cornerstones of our Next Generation platform," said Claudia Weissman, OverDrive Vice President of Library Sales. "On every level, we are streamlining the digital library experience for readers and staff with intuitive user interfaces, tools and apps."
Key components of OverDrive's Next Generation platform include:
- The browser-based eReading experience OverDrive Read will give readers instant access to library eBook collections, both online and offline. Launching later this year, the HTML5-powered technology will eliminate the need for apps or software; simply "See Book—Read Book" on any device with a modern web browser.
- Streaming Audiobooks will enable on demand access via the OverDrive Media Console apps for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry. The "Listen Now" option launching later this year will complement OverDrive's longstanding audiobook download service, extending the reach of libraries' existing collections with support for more devices.
- OverDrive Media Station lets readers in the library browse, discover and sample eBooks and audiobooks on touchscreen monitors, existing workstations and any device with a modern web browser.
- Librarians will find efficient and user-friendly collection-development tools in the all-new Content Reserve, OverDrive's online content selection tool, coming later this year. Compatible with any modern web browser, the redesigned portal also features faster, predictive search and multi-cart ordering.
- OverDrive APIs will provide a path to rich integration of OverDrive content with library discovery tools. Launching in July, the OverDrive Developer Portal will serve as the online gateway for developers to access application programming interfaces that will enable integration of OverDrive-hosted content into library catalogs, discovery platforms and mobile apps.
- MARC Record Services offer libraries a range of enhanced cataloging solutions: OCLC customized MARC services; eBibliofile from TLC, which provides fully customized MARC records; and OverDrive's MARC Express, a free service delivering basic records with a 24-hour turnaround.
OverDrive provides digital distribution services for more than 18,000 libraries, schools and retailers worldwide with support for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Kindle (U.S. only), Sony Reader, NOOK, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry. To find a library near you, visit search.overdrive.com.
OverDrive is a leading multichannel digital distributor of eBooks, digital audiobooks, music and video. We deliver secure management, DRM protection and download fulfillment services for hundreds of publishers and thousands of libraries, schools and retailers, serving millions of end users. OverDrive has been named to the EContent 100 as a company that matters most in the digital content industry. Founded in 1986, OverDrive is based in Cleveland, OH. www.overdrive.com