Seattle – Oct. 19, 2010 – Serials Solutions, a business unit of ProQuest LLC, announced today it has made significant enhancements to its family of 360 Services for discovery, enabling librarians worldwide to activate a wide variety of new patron-facing tools and localization capabilities.
The enhancements—which include language selection features, new bibliographic citation management options, new sorting functions for Chinese and Korean languages, custom text options and additional language support—enable librarians to enrich their library patrons' research experiences and provide them with additional avenues of resource discovery.
"We are always working on new ways to help librarians meet the needs of their patrons," said Stan Sorensen, vice president product management and marketing with Serials Solutions. "With the 360 family, librarians have complete control of which features they want to enable. To activate any of these features for their patrons, they simply log in to the Serials Solutions Client Center, our online administration console, and make their selections. This ease of customization is one of the biggest benefits of utilizing the Software as a Service (SaaS) model provided with Serials Solutions 360 services."
The following enhancements are available in the 360 Services—360 Core E-Journal Portal A-to-Z list, 360 Link OpenURL link resolver, 360 Search federated search services—and the Serials Solutions Client Center:
- New Administration Console Organization for 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link: Librarians now have the ability to quickly configure 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link to meet their patron-specific needs without requiring technical support.
- New Bibliographic Citation Management Options: Patrons using 360 Link will now be able to save and share research bibliographies via RefWorks, EndNote, ProCite and Reference Manager and additional bibliographic citation management options.
- Expanded Language Support: Librarians can offer patrons language support across 14 new languages within the 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link interfaces, and three new languages for 360 Search—bringing the total to 22 languages supported across all of the 360 Services.
- "On-the-Fly" Language Selection: Librarians can now enable patrons to change languages "on-the-fly" in the 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link interfaces.
- New Chinese and Korean Sorting Capabilities: Patrons can discover resources through new Chinese (Pinyin, Zhuyin, Stroke) and Korean character sorting options, supplementing the Japanese option already available in the 360 Core E-Journal Portal.
- New Custom Text Options for 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link Interfaces: Librarians now have the ability to customize any piece of text displayed within the 360 Core E-Journal Portal and 360 Link interfaces, across any language, to make resource discovery easier for their patrons.
These new capabilities are available to customers who subscribe to the respective services. Librarians simply login to the Serials Solutions Client Center and activate them.
Many librarians have already expressed excitement about these new features. Bill Drew, systems and tech services librarian for Tomkins-Cortland Community College has been a long-time supporter of Serials Solutions and an advocate for 360 Link. He said, "I am really excited about the new citation management capabilities. I anticipate it will significantly benefit the research process for our patrons. Now it will be quick and easy to export, save and e-mail citations."
Languages supported by Serials Solutions 360 Services for discovery include: Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Chinese (simplified), Chinese (traditional), Czech, Dutch, English (Great Britain), English (U.S.), Finnish, French (Canada), French (France), German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish (Mexico), Spanish (traditional), Turkish and Welsh.
About Serials Solutions
Founded by a librarian for librarians in 2000, Serials Solutions is the global leader in E-Resource Access and Management Services (ERAMS) that serves more than 3,000 libraries of all sizes and types. Serials Solutions' comprehensive suite of discovery tools and management services helps improve access to and use of collections, eases librarian workloads and ultimately reduces operating costs. Solutions include: 360, the only complete and integrated e-resource access and management solution; KnowledgeWorks, the authoritative e-resource knowledgebase and foundation for Serials Solutions 360; Ulrich's, the world's most authoritative source of bibliographic and publisher information for serials and the most comprehensive source of print and electronic serials data available; AquaBrowser, a discovery layer that makes navigation more accessible; and most recently the Summon web-scale discovery service, a world-class tool that provides instant access to the full breadth of the library's collection through a single search.