Brand new functionality allows LIBERO libraries to completely eradicate manual ordering and cataloguing processes traditionally required to have materials shelf-ready. Developed in collaboration with libraries and their suppliers, the Shelf-Ready Acquisitions feature integrates LIBERO Cataloguing, Library ordering and Supplier processes to automate the order and receipt of items in LIBERO at a level beyond conventional library management systems.
"We continue to offer libraries new and innovative ways to fulfil their acquisitions strategy and ensure LIBERO reflects advances in the way they work with suppliers," said LIBERO’s Ben Cronin.
"This new feature allows a library to manage the entire order, receipt and cataloguing process with no or very little manual work. As new items are available, they’re immediately ordered by the supplier and seamlessly entered into LIBERO, delivered barcoded and ready for staff and members in the shortest possible time," he said.
LIBERO Shelf-Ready Acquisitions automates the entire acquisitions process according to a profile established between the library and its supplier to match budget, member and catalogue requirements. Profiling is commonly used by libraries and suppliers to reduce administration and ensure the library has access the most recent and relevant materials available as soon as possible.
As new materials that match the library’s profile become available, the supplier automatically places an order on behalf of the library and generates a "Brief" or "Skinny" Catalogue Record for each item according to its full MARC Record. LIBERO ShelfReady Acquisitions seamlessly generates a corresponding Order File, financial adjustments and imports the Brief Record information into the Catalogue as if the order were manually performed by library staff.
As items move through the acquisitions process, LIBERO continues to automatically perform real-time adjustments to Budgets, notifications and the Catalogue as materials are received.
Meanwhile, in preparation for delivery, library staff may use the Brief Catalogue Record in LIBERO to allow members to search items via the WebOPAC and reserve the materials on order. Barcodes are sent to the supplier to be adhered prior to arrival at the library. Upon delivery, items are pre-barcoded and automatically updated in the LIBERO Cataloguing Module with a full MARC record.
Materials are immediately available to members for search and loan in LIBERO without any cataloguing requirements from staff. Order Notes, Budgets and LIBERO’s ‘New Item List’ display in the WebOPAC are seamlessly updated and members automatically notified of availability via SMS, email or post for reserved materials. Alternatively, library staff can simply put items on the shelf, making them immediately available to members upon arrival and without any manual processing.
"This is just one of a number of recent developments I’m excited to make available to LIBERO Libraries. There’s been a lot of work go into developing innovative approaches to help libraries overcome traditional management challenges and our Shelf-Ready Acquisitions feature is one piece of functionality that does just that," said LIBERO founder and CEO, Sam Patane.
The new feature is available in the web-based LIBERO Version 6, available to existing LIBERO customer free as a part of the solution upgrade path.
- A library may define or select any number of profiles available from a Supplier to cater for separate catalogues according to membership demographic, budget and branch locations.
- A library’s profile is used by the supplier to locate items for the catalogue and fill the full MARC record for items – including specific branch, collection and shelf-location details.
- The "Skinny" or "Brief" Catalogue Record includes title, author, series, ISBN and notification the item is on order, making it possible to for members to search and reserve items on order via the LIBERO WebOPAC, if permitted by the library.
- As goods are received with the Full MARC Record from the supplier, library staff can make adjustments to the catalogue record as they’re made available for search or loan to members.
- LIBERO’s Shelf-Ready Acquisitions functionality has been specifically developed with DA Information Services and currently adjusted to work with James Bennet, Keith Ainsworth, to cater for a range of common library suppliers.