April 26, 2010 -- Edmonton, AB. The Owl iLibrary application, a customizable iPhone and iPod Touch application developed and deployed for TRAC (The Regional Automation Consortium) by Hybrid Forge, is now commercially available for any library powered by the Polaris ILS.
"This is the first iteration of a very powerful and convenient tool that allows patrons to interact with their library from anywhere", said Chad Smith, CTO at Hybrid Forge. "The iPhone provides a unique user experience over conventional mobile browser interfaces and with over 80 million iPhone and iPod Touch devices sold to date, native iPhone apps are a smart choice."
TRAC has released the Owl iLibrary application as the "TRACpac" app and it is currently being used by patrons of TRAC, four partner library systems – Yellowhead, Northern Lights, Peace and Marigold library systems. See the TRACpac app demo on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_EY3YNrXFE
"The TRACpac app is a great way for patrons of the member libraries to find resources online – from wherever they are, whenever they want," said Kevin Dodds, Director of the Yellowhead Regional Library, where the idea for the app was initially conceived. "An IPhone or iPod Touch user will have instant access to the combined resources of more than 150 libraries in Alberta, with holdings of nearly three million books, DVDs and other material. Best of all, this app can be downloaded for free."
The Owl iLibrary for iPhone and iPod Touch includes these features:
- Search for books, CDs and DVDs online, by keyword, title, author or ISBN;
- View book details such as jacket image, summary, publisher and publication date;
- Display call numbers for locating items in the local library;
- Place holds on resources for pick-up at their local library, view hold details, cancel a hold, and renew items currently checked-out;
- Check book reviews by other visitors through your Chilifresh account;
- Display their account barcode on iPhone or iPod Touch for easy check-out;
- View any charges, fee and fines;
- Visit the Hybrid Forge website (http://www.hybridforge.com/iphone/owl-ilibrary).
About Hybrid Forge
Hybrid Forge is a premiere Web application development company and provides custom iPhone development in support of business applications. For more information on Hybrid Forge, visit the website at www.hybridforge.com