Bethesda, MD--March 19, 2010--Liblime, a division of PTFS, has released its MARC Utilities – Metadata Converter, for the manipulation and editing of MARC records in batch mode.
The MARC Utilities is a self-contained executable program which offers an array of catalog tools to manage, convert and analyze MARC-based data. It is written in Perl-TK, and is a great add-on to any MARC cataloger’s (or database administrator’s) toolset. The MARC Utilities is a free release and is available to anyone who wishes to download it from the Liblime or PTFS websites:
MARC Utilities was created in 2004, by PTFS ILS expert, Rashid Faraby, who needed a fast, efficient MARC editing tool primarily to help him in his daily tasks as a Sirsi Unicorn library system administrator. Some of MARC Utilities features include:
- Edit text/mnemonic files.
- Convert MARC to mnemonic/Text, SIRSI ASCII, Dublin Core, XML, and CSV.
- Convert mnemonic/Text-formatted files to MARC.
- Convert mnemonic/Text-formatted records to MARC directly from the editor.
- Enhanced editor and search feature with a string history to recall previous searches.
- Perform MARC queries to filter and extract MARC data.
- Dedupe MARC records and extract unique/duplicate records.
- Add a MARC field.
- Identify and remove duplicate MARC fields.
- Find and replace specific field strings (including indicators and subfields).
- Remove MARC records.
- Apply constant data to a range of MARC records.
- Apply 949 MARC Data on the fly.
- Validate MARC records and identify errors.
- Check MARC data integrity.
- Analyze MARC data to study a collection of records.
- Split large MARC files into smaller documents.
- Check for 856 broken links.
- Filter list user and item reports for export to CSV format.
- Find and purge old SIRSI reports.
- Export report results to the editor.
Liblime released the MARC Utilities editor in the hopes that this library freeware tool will make MARC data conversion easier for library staff and ILS database administrators. Liblime invites all users to let us know if you have any comments or suggestions on enhancing or adding more functionality to MARC Utilities.
LibLime is a provider of open-source library solutions. Rather than sell software licenses for static, hard-to-customize software products, LibLime educates libraries about the benefits of open source, enabling them to make choices about how best to provide their communities and staff with better technology services. LibLime then facilitates implementation of open source in libraries by providing outstanding development, customization, support and training solutions--solutions tailored to each library's needs. For more information, see www.liblime.com.