Library Technology Guides

Document Repository

OCLC acquires remaining shares of OCLC PICA

Press Release: OCLC [July 03, 2007]

Copyright (c) 2007 OCLC

Abstract: OCLC has acquired the remaining shares of OCLC PICA Group B.V., the European-based library and information systems supplier, to become the sole shareholder of the organization. OCLC acquired 60 percent of the Pica organization in 2000. Today's purchase of the remaining 40 percent in OCLC PICA completes the acquisition of shares. Rein van Charldorp will remain in his current position as Managing Director of OCLC PICA. Cooperation between OCLC and Pica began in 1977 when the organizations began sharing data. OCLC acquired a majority of Pica shares in 2000, which led to the formation of OCLC PICA in 2002.


DUBLIN, Ohio, July 3, 2007-OCLC, the world's largest library cooperative, has acquired the remaining shares of OCLC PICA Group B.V., the European-based library and information systems supplier, to become the sole shareholder of the organization.

OCLC acquired 60 percent of the Pica organization in 2000. Today's purchase of the remaining 40 percent in OCLC PICA completes the acquisition of shares. Rein van Charldorp will remain in his current position as Managing Director of OCLC PICA.

Earlier this year, OCLC reorganized its management structure to achieve global integration of services and to establish teams comprised of staff from various geographic locations.

"Completing the acquisition of OCLC PICA will help facilitate the deployment of OCLC library services worldwide," said Jay Jordan, OCLC President and CEO. "This is the next logical step in a process that has fostered tremendous cooperation between Stichting Pica and OCLC over the past seven years. OCLC and OCLC PICA will be better positioned to deliver a network of integrated global, regional and local services to libraries worldwide."

"The complete integration with OCLC means we can offer libraries and other information suppliers more and better ways to share resources to support their patrons," said Dr. van Charldorp. "This mission was at the foundation of both the Pica based organization and OCLC four decades ago. As a truly global OCLC, we can execute that strategy on yet a higher level."

Cooperation between OCLC and Pica began in 1977 when the organizations began sharing data. OCLC acquired a majority of Pica shares in 2000, which led to the formation of OCLC PICA in 2002.

About OCLC

Founded in 1967, OCLC is a nonprofit, membership, computer library service and research organization dedicated to the public purposes of furthering access to the world's information and reducing information costs. More than 57,000 libraries in 112 countries and territories around the world have used OCLC services for cataloging, reference, resource sharing, eContent and preservation. OCLC and its worldwide member libraries cooperatively produce and maintain WorldCat, making it the world's largest and richest database of bibliographic information. OCLC publishes the Dewey Decimal Classification system, the most widely used library classification system in the world. OCLC is headquartered in Dublin, Ohio, USA and has over 1,200 employees worldwide. For more information visit www.oclc.org.

About OCLC PICA

OCLC PICA is a leading supplier of software solutions, content and services to libraries. Professionals and end users in academic and public libraries, the health sector, as well as government and cultural institutions worldwide benefit from its services. These include its own union catalogue and resource sharing solutions, integrated library systems and portal products. In Europe and southern Africa, OCLC PICA also offers the full range of OCLC products and services for cataloguing, eBooks, collection and digital content management and virtual reference services.

OCLC PICA (est. 1969) promotes and encourages the scientific and public information service in the Netherlands. OCLC PICA has its headquarters in Leiden, the Netherlands, with offices in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland, the USA and Australia. More information about OCLC PICA can be found at www.oclcpica.org.

OCLC PICA incorporates OCLC Europe, PICA (a key service-provider in the library infrastructure of the Netherlands), Sisis Informationssysteme (the leading library-automation company in Germany) and Fretwell-Downing Informatics (a leading international provider of library automation and resource-sharing solutions).

Permalink:
View Citation
Publication Year:2007
Type of Material:Press Release
Language English
Issue:July 03, 2007
Publisher:OCLC
Place of Publication:Dublin, OH
Company: OCLC
Subject: Mergers and acquisitions
Record Number:12627
Last Update:2012-12-29 14:06:47
Date Created:2007-07-03 21:58:59