July 05, 2006 - MCHENRY, IL. A sweeping set of improvements to the best-selling Destiny Resource Management Solution are being introduced at NECC by Follett Software Company. The enhancements make this best-in-class Educational Resource Management suite even better adapted to the specific needs of K-12 districts.
Destiny v6.5 introduces a number of features that make it faster and easier to centralize the control of all sorts of district educational resources, improving student outcomes and enjoying significant budget savings.
"These enhancements are specifically designed to meet the future needs of school districts," according to Follett Software Company President Tom Schenck. "More districts are moving to centralize administrative functions and streamline their operations. We're improving Destiny to meet their needs, both today and tomorrow," Schenck said.
Every aspect of the award-winning Destiny Resource Management Solution has been improved and expanded:
- Destiny Library Manager: The flagship product in the suite lets K-12 districts offer complete library management services to all schools from a single installation via any supported web browser. Plus, it offers tools to help connect the library and the classroom. Destiny Library Manager now supports interlibrary loans even more efficiently, adding the ability to automatically route materials and view the status of requests. It allows users to quickly search for materials between multiple district sites, encouraging greater collaboration between sites. Schools using Destiny now have the option to add their own subject tags to support the way they teach searching skills. Districts can enhance Destiny Library Manager's functionality with a number of valuable integrated services. One of these, WebPath Express, lets students search for information from a database of more than 100,000 links to K-12 relevant, educator-approved web sites. WebPath Express may now be chosen as a separate search within Destiny Library Manager, allowing for more focused online searches.
- Destiny Textbook Manager: This award-winning, easy-to-use system gives districts and schools total control of their textbook inventory, increasing accessibility and accountability. Textbooks can now be circulated to any student in the district from any site in the district, providing greater flexibility and making it easy to track books issued to students that move within the district during the year. Users also now have access to a searchable on-line database of textbook records, making cataloging even faster and more accurate.
- Destiny Media Manager: Designed to help districts make sure that students get the learning resources they need, Destiny Media Manager is one of the first browser-based solutions that allows teachers to search for, reserve and track all kinds of district instructional media, including software, videos, activity kits, manipulatives and more. Users can now search district media and library collections at the same time in an integrated search, with a one hit list returned.
- Destiny Asset Manager: Follett recently expanded Destiny with Asset Manager, which provides browser-based tracking and management of all of a district's fixed and portable assets. The system optimizes access, availability and use of assets, and improves asset accountability throughout the district. Destiny Asset Manager helps districts improve their control of vital assets such as laptops, PDAs, AV equipment, band instruments, maintenance equipment and more.
- Destiny Resource Management Solution: Follett is also rolling out a number of enhancements to the general Destiny interface that unifies all the applications. For instance, the history of fines assessed to students is now easily viewed and summarized, and users can generate a fine cash-flow history report. Destiny also now supports integration with LDAP. These and other improvements make district-wide management of educational resources faster and less labor-intensive.
About Destiny Resource Management Solution
Destiny Resource Management Solution is an integrated suite of browser-based applications that streamlines the control of instructional assets, allowing K-12 districts to devote more time and resources to student learning. The Destiny Resource Management Solution helps districts save time and money through central management of key resources, resulting in enhanced student achievement, increased collaboration, and maximized investments and accountability for district-wide resources.
About Follett Software Company
For more than two decades, Follett Software Company has provided K-12 education with powerful, innovative technology solutions that streamline the business of education. The company offers a range of proven software and service solutions to help districts manage instructional resources and other assets more effectively. Follett Software products allow schools to devote more time and money to instruction by creating new operational efficiencies that free up resources and reduce staff workload.
More than 38,000 customers in almost half the nation's school districts have chosen Follett Software. Follett Software Company is a division of Follett Corporation, whose mission is to be the leading provider of educational solutions, services and products that empower schools, libraries, colleges, students and life-long learners.