POMONA, CA. – March 16, 2006 – Auto-Graphics, Inc. (AUGR.PK), a technology innovator providing library automation solutions for over 35 years, today announced the availability of AGent Search, a powerful Web services application that enables "federated" searching or "metasearching" across unlimited, disparate content sources – including subscription-based and free databases, library catalogs, digital collections, Z39.50 resource targets, proprietary and "home-grown" content repositories, and the open Web. The company will unveil AGent Search at this month's Public Library Association (PLA) show at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston, March 22-24, in Booth #2930.
The federated search solution deployed in more libraries (public, consortial, academic and special) than any competitive product now offers greater integration capabilities and more delivery options. Recognized as AGent Portal by its North American customer base, the enhanced and re-branded AGent Search enables federated search functionality in multiple environments, providing a truly unique search experience based on the individual needs of library patrons and staff. Delivery options now include:
- Portal – The legacy delivery option and base product is a user-friendly, library-branded portal for a 100% web-based solution that still offers unparalleled localization features. Electronic Resource management is provided in one of the most staff-friendly web interfaces available to control all portal functionality, and the product offers the most comprehensive statistical package available on the market.
- Web services integration – The product can be custom-designed and integrated into any existing application used by a library. Libraries with adequate IT resources can do their own integration or rely on Auto-Graphics for custom integration services.
- Microsoft Word client – AGent Search is the only federated search application available as a Microsoft Word client, allowing authenticated library users to conduct searches of all available electronic resources within the task pane of Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition applications such as Word.
"AGent Search raises the bar on federated searching in the library market, providing staff and patrons with more options for conducting intelligent information discovery, based on the workflow environment they prefer," commented Auto-Graphics president, Paul Cope. "Libraries invest substantial dollars in licensed content each year. AGent Search can help them gain a greater return on this investment by empowering patrons and staff to easily and efficiently find what they are looking for, while taking less time and effort to manage those resources."
AGent Search allows authenticated library patrons and staff to quickly and intelligently search all available electronic resources simultaneously from a single, intuitive, and flexible interface. Library staff can help simplify searching by configuring databases into category-based groupings for patrons, who in turn gain easy access to quality, authoritative resources, rather than relying solely on the "unfiltered" results obtained through information discovery on the open Web.
AGent Search provides:
- Intelligent results management featuring de-duplication and configurable displays
- Single login via multiple authentication methodologies and broad support of database authorization
- Customizable authorization options based on the needs of library patrons and staff, including IP address, referring URL, or utilizing user ID and passwords
- Complete statistics package to monitor usage and assist with collection development
- The ability to fully optimize the investment in electronic content
- A patron-centric approach that empowers users and offers a more productive way for information discovery
Attendees who participate in a product demo at the PLA show will automatically be entered in a drawing for a free Apple iPod MP3 player.
About Auto-Graphics, Inc.
Founded in 1950, Auto-Graphics has been a technology innovator for more than five decades, providing data automation solutions to customers across multiple industries. For the past 35 years, Auto-Graphics has helped libraries of all sizes become more efficient and patron-centric. Its flagship solution, AGent, is the one of the most comprehensive library automation platforms available today, allowing to libraries of any size manage, share and search their resources. The AGent integrated product suite – currently used by more than 5,000 libraries in North America – comprises a complete ILS system for public libraries; a robust ILL solution for consortial entities and member libraries; and a powerful federated search solution for both public and academic libraries. For more information, please visit www.auto-graphics.com.