Woburn, MA (February 27, 2006) – Inmagic, Inc. today announced the general release of Version 1.1 of its Presto research asset management software. Inmagic Presto is a Web-based enterprise application designed specifically for information centers where managing multiple collections of information in diverse formats and locations is of strategic importance. The information-intensive businesses that rely on Presto typically have high-value and dynamic content that needs to be actively managed by an information professional, and made available 24/7 to a wide audience.
Presto is optimized to support complex research environments. It differs in several fundamental ways from broad document management, content management, or search applications:
- Presto enables "information silos" to be consolidated into a single Web-based system. By making it possible to manage many types of content (such as documents, images, PDFs, web resources, news, RSS feeds and more) while maintaining the meta tagging structures specific to each type of content, Presto allows organizations to unify diverse internal and external content yet preserve its unique attributes and retain flexibility on how it can be structured and accessed.
- Presto enhances information discovery by allowing end users to both search and browse for information, depending on their needs. Presto's search capabilities include keyword, fielded, Boolean, and relevance ranking. In addition, Presto supports taxonomy structures and browsable directories that let end users easily navigate to the information that they need.
- Presto was designed with information professionals in mind. It enables them to add value to their content and actively manage research assets through the ability to define content meta tag structures, add fields, categorize content, change taxonomies, inactivate erroneous or out-dated content, restructure home pages, publish content, and permission end-users -- all without support from an information technology organization.
"We are pleased with the market reaction to Presto and its selection by Cephalon, the Kennedy Space Center, and Newsweek for managing their research assets," stated Phillip L. Green, Inmagic's President and CEO.
With Presto Version 1.1, Inmagic extends Presto's functionality in a number of ways including:
- Browsable directories upgraded: the hierarchy for a browsable directory can be managed with a simple drag-and-drop interface, and directory categories now can be viewed in multiple ways
- Search results enhanced: administrators now can specify a default sort, allowing administrators to override the relevance sort and use other sorting (e.g. date or title) where appropriate for certain content types
- System security improved: selected configuration files (e.g. database connection parameters) are now encrypted to protect system security
- Indexing enhanced: indexing has been re-architected to improve scalability (especially with large full-text data sets)
- Administration simplified: the user interface for organizing collections of information has been simplified and made more accessible
- General usage improvements: use of AJAX was made more pervasive in the system, providing users with an improved experience
- Configurability upgraded: additional configuration options have been added, increasing the flexibility of the system
"We introduced Presto in response to the evolving needs of information professionals and the organizations that they support," notes Green. "With nearly everyone a ‘researcher' in some way, end users in a wide range of organizations are critically dependent on getting timely access to the right information. However, those research assets typically are not easily accessible by all who need them. The assets are highly varied and reside in multiple places around an organization. Their sheer volume continues to grow, and ‘information silos' often get created because each type of information or business process is unique. Presto enables organizations to replace this with a single Web-based system that's optimized for enterprise research asset management."
Presto builds on Inmagic's twenty years of helping organizations to actively manage their research assets. To ensure its customers' success, Inmagic provides comprehensive Presto implementation services through its Professional Services Group.
Inmagic, Inc. is the global leader in enterprise Research Asset Management. Inmagic's solutions are uniquely capable of organizing diverse sets of research materials and enabling our customers to gain extraordinary insights from them. Inmagic solutions are known for their flexibility, ease of use and deployment, and minimal need for information technology support. Because they are based on Microsoft SQL Server and .NET technology that utilizes Web services, Inmagic applications can be integrated with and interoperate within an organization's overall information technology infrastructure.