DES PLAINES, ILLINOIS, July 11, 2001: Endeavor Information Systems announced today the Illinois Library Computer Systems Organization (ILCSO) has selected the Voyager integrated library management system for 45 of the state's university, college and community college member libraries and the Illinois State Library. The implementation, anticipated to be completed by June 2002, will affect more than 2,000 library staff and 334,000 higher education students throughout Illinois.
ILCSO includes Association of Research Libraries member libraries at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the University of Illinois at Chicago and Southern Illinois University Carbondale, as well as large libraries such as DePaul University and smaller libraries, such as that at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
In addition to Voyager, the consortium will use Endeavor's Universal Catalog, Universal Borrowing, Interlibrary Loan, Citation Server, Media Scheduling, and ImageServer products. The Voyager system replaces the DRA Classic system in use at most of the ILCSO sites, the epixtech NOTIS system at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) and the Georgetown LIS system at Southern Illinois University's School of Medicine in Springfield. Project coordinators selected UIC as the first Voyager site and hope to have a pilot library ready for consortium-wide demonstrations, planning and training by the end of this year.
Proven System with New Technology
"Voyager provides an attractive mix of new technology in a mature product," said Kristine Hammerstrand, Director of the Illinois Library Computer Systems Office. "Overall, we found the functionality to be quite good in all of the Endeavor products. The functionality is in place today—all of the Endeavor products we reviewed are in full production release."
Voyager's tight integration with Oracle was another benefit, as well as the open architecture of the system. "We were impressed with the flexibility of the system and the number of options we would have with hardware and software configurations," said Jay Starratt, President of ILCSO and Chair of the Systems Assessment Task Force.
"We are looking forward to moving toward a client-server graphical interface for our Technical Services staff—this will be a big improvement for them over the character based system currently in place," Hammerstrand said. She said Voyager's graphical interface will both improve workflows in the Technical Services areas and decrease the very steep learning curve currently in place with the present character-based system.
Combining Voyager with Universal Catalog and Universal Borrowing offers streamlined resource sharing options. "Resource sharing is already a strong part of who we are and what we are. There are cooperative library features that we look forward to using with Voyager—smart requesting, load leveling and management of external interlibrary loan requests." Hammerstrand said. She said the ILCSO group has worked with a shared library system for almost 20 years, so policies and procedures for interlibrary cooperation are already established.
Endeavor's Strong History in Academic Libraries
"Endeavor has an impressive list of customers already on the books," said Starratt, who is also Associate Vice-Chancellor for Information Technology and Dean of Library and Information Services at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville. "Voyager is designed to meet the needs of large academics and consortia. Voyager is also a product that is proven to scale to meet the needs of large institutions."
"We are pleased to be working with ILCSO, a very strong organization and a leading example for consortia libraries across the country," said Jane Burke, Endeavor President and CEO. "Voyager and its companion products are an excellent fit for both the large and small ILCSO libraries, with scalability, flexibility and customization options. The integration of Universal Borrowing and Universal Catalog with Voyager will expand ILCSO's resource sharing options for cross-institutional cataloging and reciprocal borrowing throughout these Illinois libraries."
The mission of the Illinois Library Computer Systems Organization (ILCSO) is to enhance and expand access to and effectively utilize information resources through collaborative partnerships among ILCSO members and with the Illinois Library community. ILCSO offers a computer-based library system (ILLINET Online) that provides access to a wealth of information services and resources, including an extensive online public access catalog, interlibrary loan, and resource sharing services to Illinois libraries. ILCSO member libraries receive local library operational support in addition to interlibrary services. For a list of member libraries, see attachment. Visit www.ilcso.uiuc.edu for more information.
About Endeavor Information Systems
Endeavor Information Systems, based in Des Plaines, IL, was founded in September 1994. More than 850 academic and research libraries of every size have chosen Endeavor's high performance Voyager library system. Recently named the 13th largest software company in greater Chicagoland by Crain's Chicago Business, Endeavor offers a complete line of library solutions for traditional and digital collections. Visit Endeavor at http://www.endinfosys.com for more information on Voyager, Universal Catalog, Universal Borrowing and Endeavor's complete suite of products for today's changing libraries.
Illinois Library Computer Systems Organization (ILCSO) Members
- Aurora University, Aurora
- Barat College, Lake Forest
- Benedictine University, Lisle
- Bradley University, Peoria
- Catholic Theological Union, Chicago
- Chicago State University, Chicago
- Columbia College, Chicago
- Concordia University, River Forest
- DePaul University, Chicago
- Dominican University, River Forest
- Eastern Illinois University, Charleston
- Elmhurst College, Elmhurst
- Governors State University, University Park
- Greenville College, Greenville
- Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago*
- Illinois Math and Science Academy, Aurora
- Illinois State Library, Springfield
- Illinois State University, Normal
- Illinois Valley Community College, Oglesby
- Illinois Wesleyan University, Bloomington
- Joliet Junior College, Joliet
- Judson College, Elgin
- Kankakee Community College, Kankakee
- Lake Forest College, Lake Forest
- Lewis University, Romeoville
- Lincoln Christian College and Seminary, Lincoln
- McKendree College, Lebanon
- Millikin University, Decatur
- National-Louis University, Evanston
- North Central College, Naperville
- Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago
- Northern Illinois University, DeKalb
- Oakton Community College, Des Plaines
- Roosevelt University, Chicago
- Saint Xavier University, Chicago
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Carbondale
- Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, Edwardsville
- Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield
- Trinity Christian College, Palos Heights
- Triton College, River Grove
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago
- University of Illinois at Springfield, Springfield
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign
- Western Illinois University, Macomb
*Already a Voyager site