Convergent Software Limited is launching its ISO 28560-2 Planning Support Service to help libraries gain a better understanding of how this important standard can improve library operations.
The service is a combination of three component features:
- A Tag Simulator, which is software that fully conforms to the encoding rules of ISO 28560-2.
- A Consulting Service to address any issues not resolved by the tag simulator.
- A Knowledge Base, which is a compilation of all the consulting advice and made available to all libraries subscribing to the service.
A key point of the Consulting Service is that, in addition to simply addressing data encoding issues, it will cover key privacy and security issues that are coming to the fore with the following developments:
- The new European standards on RFID privacy define procedures that all European libraries will need to address within the next year or so. It is even highly relevant to libraries elsewhere in the world.
- The increasing use of mobile devices, including smart phones, brings with it a series of opportunities but also potential risks that libraries might not have addressed.
Paul Chartier, Managing Director of Convergent Software Limited, says "I have just returned from two days of intense discussions on the European RFID privacy standards, involving the European Commission, standards makers, technology vendors and end user organisations.
There were no end users from the library community. As co-Project Editor of ISO 28560-2 and Project Editor of the European Standard on RFID Privacy Impact Assessment, Convergent Software is in a unique position to offer this service. The ISO 28560-2 Planning Support Service will enable libraries to receive ongoing information so that they can implement a continual improvement programme combining better functionality while addressing emerging privacy and security aspects. It seems sensible to offer libraries a winwin opportunity."
Details of the ISO 28560-2 Planning Support Service are available at: http://www.convergentsoftware.