1461 North 52nd Street
Other Info: The George Institute was a neighborhood library, located at the corner of 52nd Street and Bible Way (just south of Lancaster Avenue). It was chartered in 1872 by the George family, a prominent Philadelphia Quaker family of Welsh origin. Dissolved in 1927, the library’s assets were awarded to the Free Library of Philadelphia, and it was reopened on May 1, 1928, as the George Institute Branch. The building is no longer an active library branch today, but it served the West Philadelphia and Overbrook communities until it closed on June 2, 2001.
(Use this link to refer back to this listing.)
Organizational structure: This is a publicly funded and managed library.
|Product Name||Year Contracted|
|Current Automation System||Symphony||2004|
|Previous Automation System||DRA||1995|
|Previous Automation System||PLUS|
|Previous Discovery Interface||AquaBrowser Library|
|Federated search product||WebFeat PRISM|
|Item ID Type||RFID|
|RFID Tag Type||HF|
|(* Older versions of SirsiDynix Symphony were called Unicorn)|
|(The system currently named PLUS by Geac was previously called Libs100 or Libs100PLUS from a company called CLSI.)|
Record History: This listing was created on Oct 6, 2005 and was last modified on Oct 16, 2018.
Updates: Corrections or Updates? Registered members of Library Technology Guides can submit updates to library listings in libraries.org. Registration is free and easy. Already registered? login. Or, you can report corrections just by sending a message to Marshall Breeding.