CLSI, Inc., and Innovative Interfaces Inc., signed an agreement on January 12, 1991, whereby CLSI will offer Innovative's INNOVACQ serials control and acquisitions system. The alliance combines the products of the two companies: CLSI's circulation control system and its public access catalog, CL-CAT, with Innovative's acquisitions and serials control system, INNOVACQ.
INNOVACQ acquisitions and serials control was first introduced in 1981 and has since been installed in over 160 libraries across the United States and Canada. Innovative is committed to continuing independent development and market of the produÍt. As part of that commitment, Innovative is about ready to issue its 8th release of INNOVACQ software. Release 8 Highlights include:
- Libraries will now have the ability to compute percent changes in expenditure patterns between two prime periods, thus generating predictions for future expenditure.
- In addition INNOVACQ will now be able to produce reports on titles that have not been paid, e.g., serial titles that were not billed in the current year.
- The Binding Module is being improved to allow for more complex binding slips and to accommodate more complex voiLame and issue numberings.
- Record keying and updating is being improved to allow macros for the generation of data that goes in variable-length fields: (For example, a macro may be defined for all or part of an imprint field, a series statement, a note to a vendor, etc.) This data can then be input into each record without keying it.
- The number of automatically-generated claims for orders is being increased to seven.
Presumably the benefit of the agreement for CLSI is meeting contractual requirements for sophisticated acquisitions and serials control capability that CLSI's own product may not be able to deliver for another year or two. For Innovative it may lead to increased revenue and it also could make the company more visible in the public library sector.
Phoenix Public Library, a long-time CLSI customer, has been selected as the site for the first installation of the CLSI/Innovative product, scheduled to begin the first quarter of 1991.
[Contact: CLSI, Inc., 320 Nevada Street, Newtonville, MA 02165; (617) 965-6310; Fax (617) 969-1928.]