McHENRY, IL - January 13, 2000 - School districts can more easily share library resources and electronic records among their schools with Follett Software Company's newest Union Catalog Plus v4.0 for Windows. Union Catalog Plus connects multiple libraries together electronically, greatly expanding students' access to information while saving districts time and money.
Union Catalog Plus Benefits Students, Staff and Administration
Abilene Independent School District in Abilene, Texas, has been using Follett Software's new Union Catalog Plus in its 34 schools since it was released for beta testing. Eileen Dunne, the district's coordinator of library services, commented on the new version, "Union Catalog Plus saves us time and eliminates duplicate work." When a library acquires a new title that another district library already has, they can simply enter the name of the title and its MARC record will automatically import. Or they can review the record first, and then determine whether to copy it.
- Students gain easy, quick access to additional resources—they can search district-wide resources via the OPAC in a single search from any library in the district.
- Library staff will spend less time in redundant cataloging—they can quickly exchange existing MARC records from the union database or keep their own.
- Schools can more easily borrow resources from other libraries—making duplicate purchases unnecessary and leaving extra money for additional resources.
Tom Schenck, president of Follett Software, commented, "Students need access to the best information, whether it resides in their own school's library or at another library in the district. Union Catalog Plus makes it easy for them to locate that information no matter where it is, with minimal effort and time."
Flexible to Meet Specific Needs
Union Catalog Plus can be adapted to meet individual district needs. It allows districts to process and catalog materials at the district level, individual sites or at both the district and sites simultaneously. And it enables districts to determine how MARC data will flow throughout the district, varying by site if they choose. Some of the new features available with Union Catalog Plus include:
- Automated data exchange: Automatically updates the district and member databases without user intervention, whether cataloging is done at individual sites, the district or both.
- Local tags preserved: Allows individual sites to keep local tags, including 59X local notes, 856 electronic access tags and 9XX (except 940) local information tags.
- On demand data sharing: Members can search for and download individual MARC records instantly from the union, Alliance Plus™ MARC data CD or local database.
Union Catalog Plus uses 32-bit client/server technology to deliver a powerful, fast and reliable solution with an easy-to-use Windows interface. And it works seamlessly with Follett Software's latest Circulation Plus and Catalog Plus library automation software for Windows and Macintosh.
Other District Solutions
In addition to Union Catalog Plus, Follett Software Company offers a full suite of solutions to help districts meet student and staff needs, including:
- Media Minder: Streamlines management and scheduling of all resources in the district media center.
- Alliance Plus for Union: Simplifies cataloging by allowing district staff to add high-quality MARC records to the union database from CD-ROM.
- WebCollection Plus for Union: Provides Internet/Intranet access to a district's union database for 24-hour access from remote locations.
- Z39.50 Server: Offers access to the union database to patrons around the world.
Since 1985, Follett Software Company has provided school, public and special libraries with leading-edge library automation, Internet and curriculum resource software and services. Its Circulation Plus software, with more than 29,000 installations worldwide, is the number one selling library automation system in the K-12 marketplace. Follett Software Company is a division of Follett Corporation, and is headquartered in McHenry, IL. The company was recently ranked among the top ten largest software companies in Chicago. For additional information, call (800) 323-3397 or go to www.fsc.follett.com.