Innovative Interfaces announced a change in its executive leadership at the recent Innovative Users Group meeting (May 6, 2019, Phoenix, AZ). The company's Board of Directors has appointed Shaheen Javadizadeh as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO). James Tallman will take the role of Executive Chairman and will continue in an advisory role with the company, providing continuity with the strategies established under his tenure.
Javadizadeh joined in October 2016 as Executive Vice President of Global Sales and Marketing. He has been part of the strategic planning and management of Innovative since the beginning of his tenure. He came to Innovative from Wolters Kluwer Enterprise Legal Management (ELM) Solutions, where he served as Vice President for Strategic Markets. Prior to Wolters Kluwer, he held executive positions at Datacert and Mitratech Holdings, which also provided enterprise software for the legal industry.
Other recent executive changes include:
- Chris Fields, Innovative's Chief Technology Officer (CTO) since September 2016, recently left the company to become CTO of Onit, Inc., a provider of enterprise workflow solutions for enterprise legal management, which competes in the same arena as Wolters Kluwer ELM Solutions.
- Joe McMorris was appointed as Global Chief Information Officer in December 2018. McMorris joined Innovative from Wolters Kluwer, where he served in a similar capacity.
Several members of Tallman's executive team were associated with him through positions at Wolters Kluwer ELM business unit and Datacert. Datacert became part of Wolters Kluwer in August 2014 through the acquisition of its parent company, Third Coast Holdings. At the time of that acquisition, Tallman was CEO of Datacert; Javadizadeh was Vice President for Global Markets; Schad was Senior Vice President for Customer Operations; and Fields was its CTO. Akin Adekeye served as Associate General Counsel for Wolters Kluwer ELM Solutions from 2012 through April 2015 prior to joining Innovative as its General Counsel. Tallman and Javadizadeh worked at competing companies prior to working together at Datacert. Recruiting individuals from prior business associations is a common practice with precedents in the library technology industry. Several executives at Ex Libris, for example, had previously held positions at NICE Systems. Innovative continues under the ownership of JMI Equity and HCCG (formerly Huntsman Gay Global Capital). This pair of private equity firms acquired the company from its founder Jerry Kline through two rounds of investment in March 2012 and February 2013. Since that time, there have been several changes in executive leadership:
- Kim Massana served as CEO from August 2012 through August 2015.
- Albert E. (“Bert”) Winemiller, an operating partner for JMI, served as interim CEO from August 2015 through January 2016. Winemiller continues to serve on the Board of Directors of Innovative.
- James Tallman served as CEO from January 2016 through May 2019.
- Shaheen Javadizadeh was appointed CEO in May 2019.
Innovative acquired Polaris Library Systems in March 2014 and VTLS in June 2014. The company continues to support a broad portfolio of products including its Sierra and Polaris ILSs, the Encore discovery interface, INN-Reach resource sharing framework, SkyRiver bibliographic services, the MyLibrary! mobile app, and the Vital digital repository. Its current development strategy, as covered in the May 2019 issue of Smart Libraries Newsletter, focuses on a new suite of products built on a new generation platform branded as Inspire.1
As Shaheen Javadizadeh takes on the role of CEO for the company, we can expect the formation of a new executive team to help him take the company forward in its support of a global customer base of libraries of all types and sizes. Innovative is well into its transition from a company that has previously taken a more conservative product evolution strategy to one based on creating entirely new products built on a modern technology platform. This strategy depends on the company providing long-term support for its existing products to retain and attract new customers as its new generation products gain functionality and maturity. Javadizadeh comes to Innovative's top leadership position at a time when the company faces significant challenges as well as new opportunities for change and advancement.
- Marshall Breeding, “Innovative Launches Inspire Discovery,” Smart Libraries Newsletter 39, no. 5 (May 2019): 3–5.