A computerized bibliographic service for the blind and physically handicapped
Journal of library automation
Friedman, Morton H
Abstract: In 1897, as a special service to the blind, the Library of Congress established a small reading room stocked with approximately 500 books and music items in raised type. In 1974, a comprehensive internal study was begun by the Library of Congress Division for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (DBPH) in preparation for the automation of a library program that circulated approximately 12 million tapes, records, machines, and brailled books in that year. This paper is a description of a three-year plan and a system study designed to produce a computerized union catalog and an in-process file for both DBPH and a network of almost 200 libraries throughout the nation.