PROVO, Utah, December 31, 2014 – Backstage Library Works (bslw.com) today announced the successful completion of a year-long RDA enrichment program designed to ensure consistency within library catalogs. During 2014, Backstage enriched more than 72 million records with RDA elements.
Nate Cothran, vice president of automation services for Backstage states:
"This has been a good year for RDA implementation. We are grateful to our clients for their interest in the service as well as their flexibility as we juggled to make sure each library's needs were met.
"As we've continued to develop our systems to meet client requests, we've refined our services and expanded our options for customized processing. For 2015, we look forward to continuing work with both new and existing library clients interested in improving RDA description and access points in their catalogs."
Partial list of institutions that participated in Backstage's 2014 RDA enrichment program:
- Azusa Pacific University, California
- Drexel University, Pennsylvania
- East Baton Rouge Parish Library, Louisiana
- Five College Consortium, Massachusetts
- Franklin University, Ohio
- Grinnell College, Iowa
- HELIN Library Consortium, Rhode Island
- Humboldt State University Library, California
- Jacksonville Public Library, Florida
- Kansas State University
- Kent State University, Ohio
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University, British Columbia
- Meredith College, North Carolina
- Mississippi State University
- MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Massachusetts
- MOBIUS Archway, Missouri
- MOBIUS Arthur, Missouri
- MOBIUS Bridges, Missouri
- MOBIUS Galahad, Missouri
- MOBIUS Kansas City, Missouri
- MOBIUS Lance, Missouri
- MOBIUS Merlin, Missouri
- MOBIUS Quest, Missouri
- MOBIUS Swan, Missouri
- MOBIUS Towers, Missouri
- Mount Aloysius College, Pennsylvania
- National Baseball Hall of Fame, New York
- New York State Historical Association
- Ocean State Libraries, Rhode Island
- Pierce College, Washington
- Rivier College, New Hampshire
- San Diego State University, California
- SAS Institute, North Carolina
- Sinclair Community College, Ohio
- Supreme Court of Ohio Law Library
- University of Colorado, Boulder
- University of Pennsylvania Biddle Law Library
- Wellcome Library, London, England
- Western Michigan University Libraries
- Williamsburg Regional Library, Virginia
Backstage's authority control system offers deep customization through an online profile, detailed planning guides and wikis, and a generous set of reports. Processing includes field validation and data cleanup, with optional local authority data preservation, matching against a number of specialized vocabulary files, and RDA enrichment. These services assist libraries in creating consistency and uniformity within their databases.
Backstage can upgrade existing non-RDA bibliographic records to RDA standards and re-describe the records as RDA in an automated fashion according to an institution's preferences. To help libraries maintain newly updated catalogs with heading accuracy, and to benefit from future RDA-based discovery capabilities, Backstage offers new bibliographic record upgrades and authority updates as part of its authority control services.
About Backstage Library Works
Backstage's objective is to provide the most technologically advanced and efficient means for delivering professional library services. With over 25 years of experience, the company is known for its expertise in handling complex and unique projects. Backstage specializes in solutions for cataloging, authority control, digitization, preservation microfilm, and on-site needs. In providing services to more than a thousand libraries, large and small, public and private, and in locations across the globe, Backstage has cultivated an understanding of libraries, their mission, their operations, and the challenges they face. Backstage offices are located in Provo, Utah, and Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.