HUNTSVILLE, Ala., November 7, 2006 -- SirsiDynix, the global leader in strategic technology solutions for libraries, announced today a new digital repository solution called SirsiDynix Digital Library. The result of a strategic partnership between SirsiDynix and PTFS Digital Archiving Solutions (PTFS), SirsiDynix Digital Library is a comprehensive, end-to-end solution for storing, accessing and managing libraries' digital collections.
Fully integrated with SirsiDynix library management systems, SirsiDynix Digital Library is already available to Horizon users as the Horizon Digital Library; the product will be available to Unicorn users later in the fourth quarter of 2006. The new SirsiDynix Digital Library offering joins SirsiDynix Hyperion Digital Media Archive to make up the company's suite of products for managing digital collections.
SirsiDynix Digital Library offers a suite of tools that enables library staff to quickly store, search, retrieve, browse, manage and present voluminous amounts of digital content of any type or format. Key features and benefits of the new product include:
- Bundled digital collection sampler with more than 1,000 photos, articles, classic books and videos in an easy-to-use, browseable hierarchy, which means SirsiDynix Digital Library customers can offer new digital library services immediately at the time of installation
- Powerful search technologies that empower both novice and power searchers to discover content in the digital repository through Boolean, natural-language and fuzzy-language searches, meaning searchers are better able to find the content they are looking for
- Natural language, full-text and metadata search capabilities, which enable the product to search every word of every document loaded in the document's native format
- Significant non-English language capabilities that facilitate searching across different languages, resulting in searchers' discovery of the fullest range of content
- Administrative tools that are 100 percent Web-based, provide database maintenance, metadata editing and cataloging functionality that is easy to use and accessible by library staff
- API that facilitates integration of SirsiDynix Digital Library with third-party systems
- Optional professional services to digitize materials for SirsiDynix Digital Library -- part of a total digital library solution that makes it easy for libraries to begin and maintain digital collections
"Digital content and collections are central to the strategic plans of today's libraries," said Patrick Sommers, SirsiDynix chief executive officer. "That is why offering a suite of solutions for managing and sharing this content is an important part of our plans for the future. SirsiDynix Digital Library is a powerful new solution that Unicorn and Horizon libraries can easily integrate into their technology environments for managing and sharing digital collections."
"Our partnership with SirsiDynix positions PTFS to better supply our products and services to a vast library client base and furthers our goal to provide efficient and practical contributions to the digital library marketplace," said John Yokley, PTFS chief executive officer.
SirsiDynix is the global leader in strategic technology solutions for libraries -- vital institutions whose primary mission is to make sense of the vast world of information for people and communities. This is an exciting role as libraries assist people in discovering and using knowledge, resources and other valuable content for their education, jobs and entertainment. In concert with key industry partners, SirsiDynix supports this strategic role for libraries by offering a comprehensive integrated suite of technology solutions for improving the internal productivity of libraries and enhancing their capabilities for meeting the needs of people and communities. SirsiDynix has approximately 4,000 library and consortia clients, serving more than 300 million people through more than 20,000 library outlets in the Americas, Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. More information is available at www.sirsidynix.com.
About PTFS Digital Archiving Solutions
PTFS offers advanced, affordable tools and services to manage and keep pace with valuable and rapidly expanding digital collections. PTFS is a leading provider of comprehensive archiving solutions that include digital archiving software systems, digitization and content conversion services, and systems integration and staffing support services. The company has already provided digital archiving systems and information systems services to hundreds of government, commercial, academic, union, association and not-for-profit clients. PTFS is a privately held company headquartered in Bethesda, Md. More information about PTFS is available at www.ptfs.com.