Library Technology Guides

Document Repository

A computerized bibliographic service for the blind and physically handicapped

Journal of library automation [December 1975]


Copyright (c) 1975 Information Science and Automation Division

Abstract: In 1897, as a special service to the blind, the Library of Congress established a small reading room stocked with approximately 500 books and music items in raised type. In 1974, a comprehensive internal study was begun by the Library of Congress Division for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (DBPH) in preparation for the automation of a library program that circulated approximately 12 million tapes, records, machines, and brailled books in that year. This paper is a description of a three-year plan and a system study designed to produce a computerized union catalog and an in-process file for both DBPH and a network of almost 200 libraries throughout the nation.

View Citation
Publication Year:1975
Type of Material:Article
Language English
Published in: Journal of library automation
Publication Info:Volume 8 Number 4
Issue:December 1975
Publisher:Information Science and Automation Division
Place of Publication:Chicago, IL
Record Number:2103
Last Update:2012-12-29 14:06:47
Date Created:0000-00-00 00:00:00