Surpass Software recently released Surpass Central 2.0, an upgrade to the core module of the Surpass line of library automation products. New features include special features for Accelerated Reader™ users, importing student photos from Lifetouch Administrator's CD, and customized patron fields that can trigger alert tones and dialog boxes.
Surpass Central version 2.0 represents a significant milestone in the development of Surpass. Not only does Surpass have the features typically found in an automation package, but with this new release the capabilities are extended into new areas, while existing features have been enhanced.
One of the significant new features in Central 2.0 is the ability to import Accelerated Reader test lists. Central will look for matches and automatically update the MARC records in Surpass for books that have Accelerated Reader tests. The customer can perform this operation from within Central, without the need to export and send records to an outside service. Surpass updates the MARC 526 tag, used to denote reading program information. Users of Surpass Safari, the public access catalog for Surpass, can perform standard subject, author, subject or keyword searches and request that the results be limited only to materials for which a test is available. The patron can even specify to show only materials within a certain reading level, or choose to print a list of all Accelerated Reader books in a certain reading level range.
Another significant feature in Central 2.0 is the ability to batch import patron photos directly from a Lifetouch Administrator's CD. Schools using Lifetouch National School Studios for their photographer can request a CD-ROM that is "Surpass-ready." This feature combined with the ability to print patron photo-ID cards from within Surpass Central make a perfect combination. And with Central 2.0, users can now print the photo ID cards to inexpensive plain paper to be laminated with a low cost laminator – a big savings over using special ID card printers and stock.
Another new and unique feature in Central 2.0 allows the administrator to set custom patron fields that will trigger alert tones and display optional dialog boxes during circulation if data is present in that field.
Some of the new features in Surpass Central 2.0 are:
- Accelerated Reader test list import (MARC 526)
- Batch import of photos from Lifetouch Administrator's CD
- Seven additional custom patron fields
- Custom patron fields that can trigger alert tones and dialog boxes
- Custom patron fields that can be set to words, numbers, or yes/no checkboxes
- Choice of which patron custom field should appear on circulation screens
- Enhanced features for patron photo ID card printing
Central 2.0 is a comprehensive update that does not require users of Central 1.0 to install intermediate updates. It encompasses all new features since 1.0 including:
- Preview of photos before importing
- Temporary override of security level
- Additional built-in reports
- Easy Authority(tm) for ensuring consistency in data entry
- Capability of adding new materials on-the-fly during checkout
- Enhancement and simplification of process for adding custom fields to patron notices
- Ability to save multiple versions of notice text for use in different situations
- Option to renew materials directly from patron status screen
- Option to print receipts for fines collected directly from the circulation screen
- Capability of publishing reports to the web (HTML) or saving them to PDF or as Excel spreadsheets
Surpass is a full-featured suite of library automation products offered by Surpass Software of Calhoun, Georgia. The products are easy-to-use, yet affordable, and include unique features like patron-written book reviews, Easy Authority, printing of patron photo ID cards, Accelerated Reader integration and a powerful built-in report generator.
Free, fully-functional demonstration versions of Surpass are available at SurpassSoftware.com. Easy Authority is a trademark of Surpass Software. Accelerated Reader is a trademark of Advantage Learning Systems. Lifetouch is a trademark of Lifetouch National School Studios.
Contact Surpass Software toll-free at (877) 625-2657 or (706) 625-5399. Sales information is available at SurpassSoftware.com, through email at sales@SurpassSoftware.com, or by mail at Surpass Software, 517 Oothcalooga Street, Suite C, Calhoun, Georgia, 30701.